Wednesday, August 11, 2010

In my linklist "Bob's" below you can find three links to my favorite blogs, that were nominated in a "Best of Blogs" ranking.

I chose those blogs because they caught my interest out of different reasons:

"Mapping Main Street" treats the topic of more than 10.000 streets in the US called "Main Street", but with lots of different associations related to them by their inhabitants and users. I really like the idea of filling that more or less faceless streats with meaning by inviting local people to write about those streets or to post pictures or related stories. As I am interested in city development and the adoption of cities or special areas of the city as part of my case of study "Mapping Main Street" for me is a nice idea to get people involved in thinking about their living environment. Cities should be build to the necessities of their inhabitants but without their participation neither authorities nor citizens really know what they want.

Similar reasons made me choose "You are not here". Although the blog isn't a very active one as most of the traditional blogs, I love the idea of bringing together two completely different cities in completely different cultural and political concepts for "dislocated citytours". The idea is suiteable for citizens of city as well as for tourists to get in touch with another culture at the other end of a cultural spectrum. And I am really fascinated by the whole idea of dislocated tourism and wanted to give credits for that.

"Bleib passiv" is German blog, more or less traditionally - meaning very much that, what blogs were originally (as I think) made for: A bunch of people observe public movements, comment on current politics, give their opinion on that and try to give logical but also funny arguments and explanations for its point of view. I like the ironic and partly provocative touch the blog transfers. The titel "Bleib passiv" (engl. "Stay passive") is not at all what the blog calls for. Considering the context of the blog it is more about motivating people to think about current events and even start to act or to raise your voice about the things that bother you. Therefore the bloggers are not an exclusive circle itself but also offer other people to publish their opinion on this blog. Motivating people to think and not only to think but also to articulate what they think (their opinions) is what counts in that context!

Thank you for your attention!!

No comments:

Post a Comment